Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Life At It's Craziest

        Good morning, world! Today is not a beautiful day in Parker... it's in the 60's right now and the smoke from the wildfires in surrounding areas is covering up the view of the Rockies from my house, which is one of the only things I was excited about when we moved.  Yesterday consisted of running errands to the bank and Lowe's with my father (pain equivalent to that from fingernail removal) and incompetent moving companies failing to successfully carry out a seemingly simple task--removing our items from the moving truck and carrying them into the correct room. However, instead of doing just that, they decided that they "cannot get the truck up the driveway." So, my dad had to go rent a Uhaul into which they would empty the truck somewhere down my street, drive the Uhaul up the driveway, and then finally begin moving our items into the house.  Let's just say they didn't leave until late last night, after I'd already showered and gotten ready for bed. Watching them trying to carry my $12,000 baby grand piano was one of the most stressful things ever, and don't even ask me about how I felt after I saw the movers had stacked about 50 pounds of boxes on top of a very small vintage table that probably shouldn't hold more than 20... At this point, the kitchen is practically done and that's about it.  Other than that, only small pieces of my bedroom are put together and semi-putaway.
        Today, I woke up at around 10 Mountain time (12 NC time) which marks the first day of sleeping in!! I woke up to an empty house while my family made a Home Depot run, and then I got to eat an everything bagel (not nearly as fantastic as Mrs. Hopkins') while I watched my dad altering things in the breaker box, playing electrician. Let's just say that after he told me I needed to have my non-existent CPR skills on stand-by, I held my phone tightly in my hand, and then we threw a mini party when he exclaimed he had averted death. Well, he's playing electrician some more right now, but he's still alive at the moment. I'll let you know if anything changes.
        Other than babysitting my dad as he dangerously plays with electrical things, I'll be beginning to unpack, organize, and decorate my new room. Pictures will be coming soon as things start to actually look decent.
       Hmmm... what else... Oh! For all of those to whom my dad said mosquitoes didn't exist here, well, he admits he lied.  We had the doors open nearly the entirety of yesterday and there were bugs everywhere. Mosquitoes exist, and I have the bites to prove it. PEOPLE ARE SO DANG NICE HERE!!! It's the strangest thing... People don't cut you off several times a day, the EMPLOYEES AT WALMART ARE PLEASANT (who would've thought someone at Walmart would ever wish me a "nice afternoon"), and pedestrians actually have the right-of-way here! It's crazy. It was quite hilarious to see workers from the moving company in NC doing nothing, while the workers we hired here worked their butts off! The work ethic that exists here is definitely different... and honestly, generally more pleasant.
      My parents are physically and emotionally exhausted. They have been working non-stop to move in quickly since my dad really needs to go back to work.  Yesterday, I learned how to remove and replace a light fixture with my dad (two people balancing on a ladder is not safe, so kids, do not try it at home) and the washing machine basically exploded water everywhere at around midnight last night, which explains the movement I heard upstairs while my parents sopped up detergent-filled water.  My mom and dad both painted my room, which required about 4 coats of paint AND the ceiling had to painted... I'm pretty sure I'm lucky I got out of doing that.  My brother is annoying ever, who knew, but he is very excited for all of the potential adventure here, more than I. He enjoys making "Goodtimes" custard shake runs with me, and let me tell you, BEST FRIES AND SHAKES EVER.  Anyone who comes to visit, we will be going there very often! (PEOPLE COME VISIT ME, I'M LONELY!)
     Melanie, my black lab, absolutely loves it here.  I don't know if it's because there are rabbits all over the property that need a good chasing, or the fact that it's not humid and sticky here. Last night I did get a feeling of homesick, which she shared, when I unpacked the box of all my bedding that smelled of my old house.  When I transferred the insert of my duvet cover to the new one, I left the old one on the floor and found Mel cuddled up in it asleep.  There are only a few things that still smell of home, and she and I both revel in it when we discover it.
     At the end of June, we will be making our way up to Beaver Creek, where my family goes skiing, to see family that is staying there.  July 3, my sisters, Brittany (22) and Bridget (almost 21), will be flying out here from VA to spend a week with us AND we are going to see Foster the People and Kimbra in concert (((((((: Later in July, my dad's parents will be visiting for a little while, and then I should be making my way back to NC early August!
    OKAY! Well, I need to go babysit my father so more, and then I will continue unpacking... Pictures to follow soon! I send everyone back home my love and I miss you guys so much!! Continue to keep in touch, it's awesome to here from everyone since I'm pretty secluded at the moment. (: <3

No comments:

Post a Comment